Monday, January 28, 2013

Berry/Kiama

Monday, January 28, 2013

It was our first truly rainy day.  We've been pretty lucky with the weather while my parents were here.   Sydney and I wanted to take my mom to this knit store in Berry.  I convinced Adam to stop in Gerrigong along the way.  I wanted to try to go to another aboriginal center, but it was closed.  Sydney didn't want to go here, but we ended up going to a bead shop that was next door.  She was rather excited.  It is amazing how a good bead shop can make it all right in her world!

Sydney's owl patterns
When we got to Berry, the knit shop unfortunately was closed for the public holiday.  We wandered for a little while and ended up finding a quilt shop.  Sydney found two owl patterns she liked.  We helped her pick out some fabric.  She and my mom are going to make it together after we get back.  My mom also got a tip on how to make a quick quilt top out of strips of fabric or jelly rolls.  I think Sydney and I are going to go back a buy some jelly rolls, so we can learn how to make it.

The little blowhole is to the right.  I took the picture from the car.
We drove to Kiama and had lunch at the Little Blowhole Cafe.  It had really good food.  Then we went to see the little blowhole.  We ventured out into the rain.  It was neat, but we were getting pretty wet.  The big blowhole was next.  The waves were not going in the right direction, so it wasn't shooting up water as high as it could, but it was still impressive. 

Bombo Headlands
View of the big waves the surfers were riding in Kiama
I wanted to see two different rock formations near Kiama on the way home.  The first one is called the Bombo Headlands.  My mom, Dagan and I went out in the rain again.  We had to walk a little ways.  We saw the rocks from a distance.  Dagan and I think we need to go back another time to explore them.  On our way back to the car, we watched some surfers fly across the water in the big waves.  Dagan thinks that looks like fun!  We were rather wet at this point. 



Cathedral Rocks

Our last stop, was to see Cathedral Rocks or catheter racks as Dagan said.  They looked neat, but we didn't venture out of the car this time.  We were ready for home and dry clothes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment